Monday, December 7, 2009

Microwave Oven Poached Pears

I bought some unripened Bartlett pears last week from the grocery and stuck them in the fridge because of my love of crunchy pears. Issay disagrees with me on the validity of the unripe pear and prefers to ripen his naturally out of the fridge. Although naturally ripened pears can turn into little golden balls of silky sweetness, I've also forgotten to eat them in time and arrived to find brown and spotty ones.

Since I've been sick at home with a cold for the past half-week, I decided to poach the pears instead of eating them raw in order to reduce cold induced coughing fits. But being lazy as I usually am, I decided to poach them in the microwave. The end result: pretty good, but longer stay in the microwave would have been ideal, so I increased the cooking time.

Try this dessert:

1 firm unripened Bartlett pear (or medium ripe), cut into wedges or cubes
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp butter

Throw everything in a microwave safe bowl. Zap on high for 2 minutes. Stir. Zap for another 2 minutes. Stir. Zap for one more minute. Let cool. Consume with spoon and a side of ice cream or croissant (go for the croissant if you aren't sick!).

No comments:

Post a Comment