Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lecso! Hungarian Pepper Stew

Previously posted August 2009 on my Facebook:

Last night I decided to make some Lecso, a Hungarian veggie stew in order to use up all the banana peppers my coworker brought.

I followed the general recipe on About.com. It came out really tasty considering I went for the low fat version by first sauteeing chicken breasts, removing them, then sauteeing the veggies in the left over oil. I think that next time I will first sautee up some bacon. Use a LITTLE of the bacon fat and the chicken oil to fry the veggies to give it a smoky taste. Then crumble up the bacon to stir into the stew.

Piotr was very against the idea of using bacon in Lecso so if you like you can use polish styled sausages and keep it low fat by just adding a small chunk that's been finely diced.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/hungarianvegetagbles/r/lecso.htm

Try this recipe with some crusty garlic bread and a nice dry red wine on a cold night and you'll love it. If it's not thick enough you can take an egg, beat it, temper it with some of the sauce, then use the egg to thicken the stew when you turn off the fire. It's super tasty with the egg!
Updated about 2 weeks ago · Comment · Like

No comments:

Post a Comment